Friday, March 16, 2012

Pallet Compost Bin

My husband and I finally got our yard compost bin put together and in place this week! Although it was an easy job (finding the pallets was the most troublesome and time consuming) there always seemed to be something higher on the priority list. But it's unseasonably warm here in Ohio and the family has been spending as much time possible in the yard.


Items Needed:
3 similarly sized wooden pallets
1 scrap piece of wood (we used a 2x4, but really anything will do)
Long wood screws
Screw Driver
Paint (not only does it make it look pretty but the paint will protect it from rot)


I held the pallets together and my husband put about 6-8 screws into each. It was a real exact science. We did this until we had the "U" shape we were wanting. We put the pallets together so that all the boards were horizontal, but I think it would work just fine if the boards were vertical.

We then slid it into place and attached the 2x4 to the front bottom to act as a brace for the bin.

I gave it a few coats of paint. Some of the wood wasn't treated, so if you are wanting a uniform nice paint job, I'd suggest priming first. I however wanted a weathered look and had fun with the colors. Who says a compost bin can't be pretty.

I placed it in the naked spot between our 2 lilac bushes. It was a perfect fit!! I will be keeping an eye on it and if the compost gets too dried out I plan on putting a tarp or maybe some weed screen down on top on the pile.

And Viola! Easy peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment