Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sugar Scrub for Dry Skin


A few months ago I made a sugar scrub and I am absolutely addicted to it. I use it on my face and hands in the shower to scrub away the dead dry skin. I also scrub my shoulders with it as that is where my eczema is the most prevalent.

This recipe is easy to make and what's even better is it is a lot cheaper than what you can buy in the store!

Without further ado, here's the recipe:

Sugar Scrub for Dry Skin
White sugar
Brown sugar
Olive Oil
Extract of some sort (Almond goes great with the olive oil, but I also enjoy vanilla or mint or even lavender essential oil. Really this is to your taste, or smell rather.)
First, start with the container for your homemade scrub. This will determine how much sugar you need to use. I use ball freezer jars because I'm not crazy about the idea of glass in the shower. I can be quite the clutz. They're also great because they are wide-mouth and the lid screws on.

Measure out equal parts vanilla (or plain white) sugar and brown sugar in a bowl, and mix.


You will get a sandy looking mixture like this:


Pack your container with the 50/50 brown and white sugar and slowly pour in olive oil. I poured in a tablespoon or two at a time and let it seep in.


Once the oil had penetrated about half of the packed sugar, add a teaspoon of almond extract, let that seep in as well, and then dumped the entire contents out into a bowl to mix it up.


Then pack it back into the container you will be using for storage and viola!

For Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, or Birthdays- this is a fantastic gift for anyone. It's soothing, thoughtful, and made from ingredients you probably already have in the pantry. I hope you will try this homemade sugar scrub, and enjoy!



Thanks to my niece Bella for helping make the scrub featured in the photo! We gave a jar to her mom and she loves it (as does my nephew who also has eczema!)

No comments:

Post a Comment