Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Facial Moisturizer

My goal is to slowly weed out my over-priced, bad-for-me, store-bought products, both beauty products and cleaning. In doing so, I get to take better care of myself, the Earth, and my pocketbook. I'm going slowly though, because I don't feel it's really doing the Earth (or my pocketbook) a favor if I just pitch what I have. So as I go through what's in the house, I'll be trying new recipes.

The first is facial moisturizer!!

(Please excuse the stock photos...my camera is currently sitting in a bowl of rice after my son decided to give it a bath in the dog's water bowl.)

As said before, I have real dry skin. I have been using Oil of Olay on my face, which works for a few hours at keeping the flakes away, but never for long. Then recently, about a week ago it started burning my skin like it was made of pure alcohol. Not sure why, but what better time than to make a switch!


I stumbled upon a simple recipe, and although I just made it & put it on for the first time, I'm already loving it!!

Homemade Facial Moisturizer
Jojoba oil I used Dessert Essence
Skin-safe essential oils Different essential oils have different healing properties to your skin. I used Lavender and a Geranium/Rose mix. Heavenly!! Here is a link to a very comprehensive list of what to use for different skin types.
A dark glass bottle (any size between 15ml and 50ml) with a dropper lid or pump. I used one with a pump.

1. If you’re re-using the glass bottle, sterilize it, the lid, and the dropper in boiling water for several minutes.

2. After everything has dried and cooled, add about 1 drop essential oil for every 3-4 ml that your bottle holds, e.g. no more than 5 drops of essential oil for a 15ml bottle. If you have very sensitive skin or are trying a new essential oil, add less. You can customize it to your favorite essential oil or create your own special blend.

3. Fill up the rest of the bottle with jojoba and shake. Allow it to sit for a few hours.

When you’re ready to use your new moisturizer, place 2-3 drops or 1 squirt onto you fingertips and massage into damp, clean skin. It will absorb quickly with little or no greasiness.



As I mentioned, I used Lavender/Geranium/Rose and although it's been years since I've treated myself to one, my skin smells like I just had a professional massage. Maybe the moisturizer will make my skin happy and keep my stress down. I do have a toddler boy after all.


From what I can estimate, total investment for about a year’s supply is about $15-$20
, depending on the essential oils you use. onsidering I was spending about $50 a year, it sounds like a win to me!

What are your favorite DIY skin and body products?

No comments:

Post a Comment